Saturday, July 23, 2011

One bread, One body...

"United we stand, divided we fall."-Aesop

I've been taught that there is one body in Christ and that we all have our own way of expressing love, worship, graditude and occupation for God's plan in the world. I am in a Family group here at camp and we are discussing our vocation, God's calling for us in life. While reading and discussing the book Courage and Calling  and working at the camp and me graduating next year I am starting to wonder what and where I belong in Christ.

There is a verse in the bible in Romans that talks about how each of us is a part in Christ. We all have seperate calling that make up the body of Christ. It tells us to not be jealous of another part. This got me thinking: What part would I be? If I could pin point a specific body part in the body of Christ what would I resemble? After only a few minutes of thinking, the answer came to me. I kind of laughed when I realized, I would be an eye. No doubt an eye. There are two reasons for this thinking. The first: I am a photographer. I look through the lens to see all of which God created. I am one who shows you what God sees and what God created. I try to look at everything as God's precious treasure. I've strive to make everything beauitful for God. Also, I attempt to capture God's passion in those around me, especially here at camp. Now the second reason is a bit personal, but definitely applicable to why I am a God-eye. I have this undenying interest in peoples eyes. I believe you can tell someone's emotions by looking into their eyes. They can show what's deep inside. No matter if you're trying to hide emotions, if you read them right, the eyes will tell you what's really going on.

Knowing I can act as an eye for God's glory makes me feel like I have a purpose and a talent I use for God. There are other things I'm quite good at, but this, photography, this is what I love to do to show God to others.



For just as each of us has one body with many members, and these members do not all have the same function, so in Christ we, though many, form one body, and each member belongs to all the others.  We have different gifts, according to the grace given to each of us. If your gift is prophesying, then prophesy in accordance with your faith;  if it is serving, then serve; if it is teaching, then teach;  if it is to encourage, then give encouragement; if it is giving, then give generously; if it is to lead, do it diligently; if it is to show mercy, do it cheerfully.
 -Romans 12:4-8

No comments:

Post a Comment